You can, and if you have them handy I reckon you probably ought to go with what the mfrs recommendations are, but when I am out fixing or repairing or rerouting equipment on a tower, I make use of what is in the van, and if that means using the coated metal banding, that's what gets used. Long as it is secured tight and not binding over an edge of angle iron or some such, it won't hurt the line any. I don't worry too much anymore about cross coupling on the outer conductors, we have to ground out the heliax/coax transmission line so heavily anyways to meet lightning arrest electrical code that any spurious energy in the outer conductors is usually dissipated long before it can eddy out into another adjacent line.

I usually have bigger problems on a site with intermod mixing or multi path due to some bozo having mounted an aluminum bracket directly onto a galvanized steel brace. Thank God for conductive grease! Then there's the ding-a-ling that doesn't screw down his N-Connectors all the way, ARRRRGGGHHHH!