Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Hi falcon5000,

How about a tough and robust, 5F, -15C rated down sleeping bag with built in water proof base with integral stuff sac and weighs in at 2.1 Kg. (similar performance to the Wiggy's bags in terms of weight and temperature rating but 1/3 the price, new ones can be had for around £40 $80)

Combined this with an 800 gram British Army Goretex Bivi and a 700 gram Alpkit Airic self inflating pad and you have a very effective sleep system weighing around 3.6Kg 8lbs which is waterproof and usable down to temperatures below -15C for around £100 $200).

Looks like a good system, particularly for hard use and for wetter conditions. I'm generally in the dry American Southwest and trying to keep the weight down. My latest "brain flash" is:
Bag: 18 oz WM Summerlite 32
Pad: 14 oz Ridgerest Short + 28" Ridgerest (1.25" thick)
Bivy: 24 oz Aurora Bivy
_____
56 oz (3.5 lbs)

With this scheme, I cut down about 4.5 to 5 lbs from the 8 lbs or so sleep system you describe above. For a pad, I'd use two Ridgerest Short closed cell pads, one of which would be cut down to only 28" and placed under the non-modified Ridgerest. This would give me extra padding in the crucial areas. This configuration would be good down to about 32F/0C, although I'd probably want to switch to a Ridgerest Regular as I approached 0C which would add another 5 ounces.

However, I can substitute a full length Thermarest Prolite 4 and use a Mtn Hardwear 15F/-9C bag as follows:
Bag: 31 oz Phantom 15
Pad: 24 oz Prolite 4 Regular (1.5" thick)
Bivy: 24 oz Aurora Bivy
_____
79 oz (~5 lbs)
This set up still saves me about three pounds over the Pattern 58 set up. Not saying the Pattern 58 is a bad idea! I'm just always looking for ways to save weight so I can keep my pack light enough that I can still be agile. Too heavy gear can actually make one less safe if it contributes to a knee injury, a fall, or the like.