Your suggestion of a bandana for smoke is a good one because the risk from a fire during a crash scenario is a major consideration. Assuming you survive the impact, which you don't have much control over, your next major risk would be smoke inhalation from a fire (unless it's a water landing, then you have to worry about drowning and hypothermia). I would also assume a relatively quick rescue, but there's no telling what kind of environment you could be facing (desert, mountainous, etc).<br><br>The problem is that I don't think a bandana would have any effectiveness against deadly smoke in a burning airplane. One item that could be useful specifically for airline travel would be an emergency smoke hood. I don't know exactly what they are called, but there is something available that consists of a filter canister and a transparent hood to cover the head. It's one-use-only for emergencies and designed to be compact. I think it's about the size of a soda can when it's sealed. It gives you a few minutes of good air to find your way out. A powerful flashlight might also be helpful finding your way through the smoke. <br><br>If I wanted to be prepared for an airline crash, I'd want to have one of those hoods more than anything else.<br><br>