Just in case you've never thought about it, most of the raw seeds and beans that you buy in bulk for cooking are perfectly fine for GROWING. I scooped up a selection of grains and seeds, and sprouted them just to see.

Amaranth, quinoa, barley, red winter wheat, lentils, various beans... they all sprouted. The only ones that just sat there on the damp paper towel was the millet, which was hulled, and I didn't expect it to do anything. But if I wanted millet, I could pick up some of those heads of them that they sell for entertaining the parakeet (pet food section).

I think there are possibly more in the bulks seasonings section, and I'll check them out next time.

Also, I just bought ten pounds of my favorite bean, Anasazi, and I tried a few of them. Yep, they sprouted just fine. I think I'll be growing a patch of them this summer. (The shipping cost more than the beans.)

Also, feed stores tend to carry seeds for oats, buckwheat, sweet sorghum, etc (some may be treated).

Anyway, just a thought that seeds for sprouting (very nutritious) and growing don't only come on small packets for $2.69 for a few grams.

Sue