How could something as heavy and bulky as a wiggy bag NOT be warm?!? Everyone says that they are not "hiking" when they are using theirs so they aren't worried about all that wt and bulk. Aren't there other quality bags that are just as warm only with much less wt and bulk? Why is wiggys better than those ones?

I'm not picking on the wiggy bag or mr wiggy, heck there are a lot of nuts in the outdoor industry, just consider ray jardine. It doesn't mean their ideas or products are bad.

But a heavy bulky bag that's expensive to boot - I don't understand the appeal. Maybe if I actually seen one to compare I would. And I can understand going to any lengths to be warm in very cold artic conditions. I don't see the appeal of a heavy lightweight bag at all though.

To sort of hijack the thread, I just got my first down bag, a summer bag, the montbell UL SS #5 (35-40 degrees)and cannot see myself using my synthetic bag in anything but some kind of dire conditions where I did not have control over my shelter. I don't know what that would be off the bat, I have never gotten wet in any of my tents and more often than not it rains when I am camping or hiking. I actaully like to lay in a tent in the rain. I like rain period! We've had this insufferable drought for over 5 years, I think last year was the worst I have seen, and it finally seems to be raining like it used to. I got so exited I pitched my tents in the yard and hung out in them. It was awesome! I did my BA seedhouse once then the next weekend my HS tarptent double rainbow. My neighbors think I'm crazy but I know that it's really them.

The WM bags are supposed to be the mack daddy of down bags. If I ever excape from the east coast to somewhere where I could actually enjoy true wilderness I think I would like one of those. I have never met or heard of anyone that has been dissapointed in their WM bag.

I like my montbell so much that I turned my heat down some and opened my bedroom window so I could snuggle with it! I have tried it at 38 degrees in the yard to about 65 in the house. Over 65 it gets too warm, 60 is good though.

Maybe my neighbors are right.