I need desert clothing. I live in Phoenix, Aridzona. The clothing will be for summer day hikes where it's hot (105+) and dry in the summer, but can cool off dramatically at night. During monsoon, sudden and dramatic thunderstorms are the norm.

I will also use this clothing for marksmanship events. Lots of standing, sitting, and laying in the desert sun.

I've read that cotton kills. But if cotton kills, what keeps me alive? I can't imagine wearing polyester under this sun.

I know I want long sleeve shirts and full length pants.

At 5' 5", buying clothing can be a crap-shoot, size-wise, so I'd like to buy from places in town if possible (We've got REI, Sportsman's Warehouse, Cabella's, Big 5). However, I will gladly look at online sources.

For other reasons, I need clothing that, as much as possible, does not look explicitly military or hunting oriented. Not because military or hunting is bad, but because I want to project an everyday image when I am in town on the way to or from the desert. That means I have a strong preference against camo for this application. I plain, neutral, light colors if at all possible.

I would love a few extra pockets, but I don't want a safari-vest full of pockets. Same reason as above.

Do these requirements suggest anything to you guys? What types of fabrics, what brands, what places to shop come up in your minds?