Both Presumedlost and Castaway gave good answers, especially to expect the unexpected with the uneven interpretation of airline rules, which varies between different airlines. I would either pack your hiking survival kit in your luggage or send it to yourself overnight carrier if you're worried about losing your luggage. Although I would hazard a guess that you'll have packed other critical gear with your luggage anyway. <br><br>BTW, the matches and firestarting gear is likely to cause no concern. I believe the law is intended to prevent canisters or containers of flamable liquid, gases or powders that may cause an explosion on board. The empty camp stoves are a risk of explosion should the plane suffer lose of cabin presure (even the luggage compartments are preasurized). Cigarette lighters and matched do not present the same catostrophic risk.<br><br>Still, you present an interesting topic for consideration. What should one carry onboard a commercial airline flight for emergencies. Obviously, there will be soom differences between your wilderness kit and an airline kit, as well as some similarities.<br><br>I'll start of with some ideas, even though some may be off base.<br><br>1. A small fanny pack to carry the items<br>In an emergency you should leave all carry on behind. A fanny pack around your waist solves this proble. It also allows airport security the opportunity to search the items easily if needed, instead of a metal case sealed with tape and cord (ala Doug's mini kit). Wear the kit during flight with the pack in front, in your lap, so items are accesable while in your seat belts.<br><br>2. A folding pocket knife.<br>Big enough to be useful but small enough to not represent a threat to security. I'd have it on top of the kit or in a separate side pocket so it can be found quickly in the dark. If you have to wexit the plane with no lights or a smoke filled cabin, you need to be able to find the knife by touh alone. It could be useful to cut away seat belts if the latch jams.<br><br>3. Bandana or hankechief.<br>Besides traditional survival and camping uses, a bandana could be used to cover your mouth to protect you from smoke inhalation during egress. This item should be in a pocket so you can retrieve it in a hurry. You don't want to be fumbling around in a fanny pack at this time if you don't have to. You need to leave the plane.<br><br>4. Meds.<br>Here I'm not totally sure what would be best. You may experience or need to treat all sorts of injuries, burns, cuts, broken bones, etc. Crash sites of commercial airliners are going to have immediate response. Extreem circumstances, such as weather conditions or terrain (mountains) may delay response, but survivers would likely be reached in hours, not days (is that a reasonable assumption?). So I would guess that antibiotics would not be needed, but pain meds would. As would gauze bandages, tape, maybe a SAM splint, but security might find that odd. What else.<br><br>5. Firestarting<br>In cold conditions, providing heat may be necessary, especially since survivers may suffer from shock. Lifeboat matches and Spark-lite & tinders, etc., should sufice and not present a problem with security. If you pack several alternatives, you'll have backup if you need to surrender one form, such as the matches.<br><br>6. Water treatment<br>Iodine tablets and/or Potassium Permanganate Crystals plus a condom or balloon to hold the water.<br><br>7. Signal mirror<br>Flares would be out of the question.<br><br>8. Sewing kit<br><br>9. Rite-in-the-Rain paper and pencil<br><br>10. Button compass<br><br>11. Photon LED light.<br>I'd have this on a keychain or a lanyard for easy access during egress. Perhaps I should hqave listed this near the top of the list.<br><br>12. Paracord<br><br>What else?<br><br>Willie Vannerson<br>McHenry, IL