I've heard from a lot of folks who don't think that gun ownership is a big concern to them. In their case, I have to agree, within a narrow context, but consider how such thinking then flows into other aspects of our culture.

For instance, much of what happened to African Americans prior to the civil rights movement and the passage of certain amendments really had no effect on me or people like me. I am caucasian and never really experienced discrimination or prejudice firsthand, nor did my parents or grandparents. To their way of thinking, why would it then be so important to impose such a limitation on our government that would only directly influence the lives of other people they did not know and would never likely have need of? Still, because of people like my parents and grandparents, the laws were changed, and no longer can people be legally oppressed or denied equal opportunity in this country based on their race, religion, sex, creed etc. It just so happened, then, that one of those African Americans who's life was changed by the civil rights laws ended up saving the life of one of my relatives, thereby justifying the efforts my ancestors made to secure the rights of others though they would receive no direct benefit themselves.

I could cite many more such similar examples of how preserving the rights of others whether we realize the benefit directly ourselves or not is a prudent action. If we don't agree that all the rights defined in our consitution ought to be preserved or changed for the better, then we risk the same ambivalence with respect to our own rights by others to whom we hold no direct accountability otherwise.