I'm not sure about soybean oil... IIRC if you use a 50-50 mixture of boiled linseed oil and turpentine, the result would be basic traditional oil cloth.

There are various recipes for improving the treatment. (and if you go overboard with additives you wind up with primative linoleum instead of oil cloth).

It will take quite some time for the boiled linseed oil to fully cure and you want to keep the canvas out of the house and properly ventilated especially while the turpentine is drying. In moderate temps and humidity I'd *guess* at least two weeks curing time. Two applications are much superior to one. If you don't let the boiled linseed oil cure long enough it will stick together in hot/humid weather. In any event, it would not hurt, after curing, to powder both sides with unscented talcum powder or chalk powder (shake off the excess) to reduce sticking.

The turpentine (don't use mineral solvent - stick to turpentine) is used as a cut-back - it has no other function. Straight boiled linseed oil would not penetrate the fibers as well, take forever to cure, and be stiff as a board. Do NOT use raw linseed oil - use boiled.

There are wax based treatment methods as well.

Be far simpler to simply search on "oil cloth" and purchase some ready-finished. Be aware that "oilcloth" is usually vinyl coated fabric like inexpensive picnic table cloths and "oil cloth" is usually the linseed oil treated fabric - usually. Caveat Emptor.

Horseman Chris K. probably knows a lot more about this than I do...

HTH,

Tom