Greetings flashman, thanks for stopping by.

I'm sure that you'll get a few responses to your question, but thought I'd jump in. If you are looking for a kit to make life easier in your apartment in case of something happening, I would stock up on a few supplies to start with. Buy a few 7 gallon water carriers (think 1 gal of water per person per day), have a way of cooking such as a camping stove, coleman stove, propane/charcoal grill (be sure to do it outdoors though), and make sure you have extra blankets or sleeping bags. This should be mandatory in anyone's dwelling considering that a contractor could cut a water main, gas line, or electrical line and not just being prepared for terrorist activities. Also if you have any portable radios/TV's in your house, stock up on batteries preferrably lithium since they have a 10 year shelf life. Use your portable electronics and see how long they last on a set of batteries to get an idea of how many you may need.

As an experiment, take a weekend or a few days and turn off all power, water, and heating. See how you do with what you have, and then find out what you may need to get. For the $100 to $150 you are looking to spend, you should be able to buy what you need for way less than that price.