Use radio reference website to look at agencies in your area.(I think there are some Candian discussions and some data there)
Then look at the discussion forums for your area. You might learn of plans that would change the existing systems.

The State of Colorado went to digital trunking (APCO 25) about 8 (or more) years ago. Many smaller jurisdictions such as Counties and Cities are using the same system as occupants of the same towers/frequencies. More are moving onto the system as $$ permit.

If you can't receive digital trunking here you're missing a LOT.

There is also something called "rebanding." This has actually occurred in Colorado. What it has meant is that many digital trunked transmission sites were moved in frequency. Most of them remained within the capability of my Radio Shack scanners (Pro-96 and 2096)
Some additional towers were installed which are in the 700Mhz range and aren't usable by the Radio Shack products.
The Bearcat digital trunking scanners are ok and GRE (the oem of the Pro-96) has come out with new radios that can deal with the 700Mhz sites as well as a few other things.

There are some systems used in some juridicitions for which there are no scanners which work. (Aurora, CO. is one)
And encryption can be put onto the digital systems if agencies desire. So far these seem to be covert surveillance activities.

I find having these expensive scanners to be essential to my situational awareness on a long daily commute so I can re-route around accidents, drug busts, wrong-way drivers and so forth.

But they are costly and non-trivial to program.