I recently picked up a small Midland NOAA weather radio and it was pretty much dead out of the box. Because of the circumstances I bought it under, returning it will be very difficult (damn me and my bargain hunting!)

While trying to think of a replacement, I came up with all sorts of ideas for something more practical ranging from scanners to CB radios with NOAA to GMRS radios with NOAA built in but then I thought of something. NOAA is dependent on there being a station broadcasting in your area. When I'm on a road trip or on my way to camping, there could be many places or stretches of highway which don't have coverage. Even in most of the national parks the emergency channels are AM because there are no NOAA stations.

My Sirius Satellite radio on the other hand has access to a 24 hour weather channel. If any severe weather warnings were around, I'm sure they'd say something sooner or later. Plus I'd have access anywhere. The downside is that there would be no 'warning' and it's built into my jeep...not exactly backpack portable unless I buy another radio portable radio.

Has anybody used satellite radio this way and had any success?