Exactly. I take a 2 quart pot with a bail and a tightly fitting lid and a stove ALWAYS in snow country. And a GI canteen cup. Been doing that for a looong time.

Fuel consumption in wintertime is relatively high anyway and IF I cannot find liquid water and IF it is appropriate / possible to build a fire, I have always used a small fire at lunch and supper to replenish my water bottles. The 2 quart kettle makes life simpler and takes up no room in my pack. (actual volume is greater than that - 2qts is the "working" volume)

Nalgenes work fine. I use them a lot part of the year and rarely (except as a mixing container) the rest of the year. They do freeze up, just as anything will given temps and time. Depending on conditions and exactly what I am doing, I use insulated carriers (homemade from old sleeping pad + duct tape), neck bottle (slung underneath my parka), bury inverted in the snow, shoved inside my pacs with parka over both, etc. etc. But like any container of water, they can and do freeze up.

I used to carry a SS 1 qt vacuum bottle of hot water in addition to other container(s). Sometimes I still do. But nowadays I more often take a 1 pt vacuum bottle because of space and weight. No surprise, in extreme conditions, it will not stay hot as long as a 1 qt (surface area to volume/mass ratio). I used to use the dreaded Arctic Canteen (Because I was required to). Those are a poor solution - commercial vacuum bottles are much better.

And I could go on re: walking/skiing/snoweshoeing. But what catches my eye is a better solution than I presently have in my on-board "EDC" kit.

Emergency water in my vehicle in wintertime has always been a PITA. Among other things, a stove + fuel + canteen cup are part of the vehicle package. I do not care to use Sigg type aluminum water bottles for a number of reasons (purely personal preferences), so these SS single wall water bottles are interesting.

Tom