wildman800,

I hope your BOB has a happy home right next to a big orange gumby suit. I like the fishing kit, and I also like that suggestion about putting hooks on safety pins.

One of my thoughts for you might be, how far can you take the boat. If the TS really HTF, a boat may provide you, your family and some of your crew and/or their family with a means to get away from the fan that just got hit.

I like the idea of a BOB on boat for a few reasons, provided you are ready to leave it behind if it hinders you in a distress situation on board (don't really see that as a problem). If you ever need to leave the boat in a hurry, it could provide you with additional means and supplies until someone finds you. Something you have may help you get out of a bad situation either easing your departure from the boat or, better still, allowing you to stay on it safely.

Additionally, I hope your family has a plan for bugging in or bugging out without you. You may find yourself in an area that does not permit you to get to them. You may be fine, they may be fine, and there may be all h____ breaking loose between you. However, if lines of communication get cut, you also may not know that this is the case.

Think about putting some redundancy into your communcations. When on a boat, I know that in most cases get to someone that had a SSB. If you found a decent used SSB and had it for your family, that might provide a link. It might also cut down on the phone bill. If you work steady on one boat, perhaps you or your engineer can add an SSB to it's gear. I know used units can be pretty cheap.

Stay safe.