I'd have to say my house is about the safest place i can think of. Located on a mountain in a small rural town in northern Alabama, a few miles from the Tennessee River. Water was never a problem, even with the recent drought conditions. Our whole neighborhood is wooded, so we could probably live off wild edibles for at least a few months, and our next-door neighbor has chickens, so we'd have eggs if nothing else; or we could eat his guineas. During my lifetime there've only been a few incidences of theft, and those were all by the same pair of punks who have long since moved to another state. I don't remember ever hearing about a murder(this IS rural AL, so that probably has something to do with the law of common sense that says "noone ever tries to massacre at a gun show.") The last time we had truly serious weather was in 1997 when an ice storm knocked out the power for a few days. Being on the highest point of land, flooding isn't a worry. There's never been a tornado within twenty miles of us. i don't think there's ever been an earthquake here in recorded history. The only thing i'd worry about is the Brown's Ferry nuclear plant, but the odds of that ever being a problem are virtually nil. It could be a potential terrorist target, but with all the other things to bomb in this country, I can't see them bothering with it; it just wouldn't kill enough people. I don't know how fast fallout would travel, but i think it would take long enough to cross the 28 mile between us and the plant for us to bug out.

Edited by Erik_B (03/13/08 12:53 PM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.