OutdoorDad,

Wow man you got a full house. Your post brought back a childhood incident of mine.

My parents were devorced, and while visiting Dad, we had a substantial sized tree at both ends of the street he lived on fall over in high winds. These trees were enormous to my 9 year old view of things. Thinking back on it now they were about 4 feet in diamiter. Luckily my Dad's neighbors had a few chainsaws, although it still took several hours for the residents of his street to clear enough tree to allow a car to pass.

The point is do you have:

1) a chain saw
2) an ax
3) a pocket saw (one of the quality ones, not the wire type.)

The ax with the skill to use it or the pocket saw are key items to keep the path to and from the home accessible.

Do other family members live in the area (also are they on speaking terms, or safe around your children?) that you could include in the bug out? I find more people help with multiple kids, as my uncle has 4. Usually best at one adult to a child.

I live in southern California, and have a Grandmother who is 96yrs old. If we get hit with a big quake I am going straight to her residence to check on her.

The bicycle with a homemade trailer that someone else mentioned is a great idea. A guy I work with had one made for himself tohaul his daughter around, while he and mommy ride on a two seater bike. If you get one set upit would do you good to haul the kids around town on errands, by getting you into great shape.

I realizethe bike won't work in sever winter weather, so truck (quadcab)/or jeep eagle (4 by 4 station wagon)/ or suv are good options.

Just afew thoughts.

Joe