The Canada Post came through and just delivered my axes. 7pm on a Saturday...they must have heard us bad mouthing them wink

When I got the box I was surprised at how light the box was...somehow I'd imagined the set to be heavier. I immediately laid them out on the floor and compared size and weight to my machete. Pretty comparable and with the simple sheaths on the axes either one would actually take up less space in my pack than the machete due to the bulky sheath on the Gerber.

They aren't really sharp and while I won't be cutting any paper or rope with the edges the way they are, I think they'd split wood pretty well in their current condition. One of my first tasks will be to put a proper edge on them both. I may also sand the handles down and oil the handles the way they should be.

I like the shape of the handles, there's no way they would slip out of my hands unless I were greased down with those thick knobs at the end of the handles. I can choke up on them pretty far and still get my hands around fine with a secure grip. I was a little disappointed about the orientation of the grain. The grain on the maul is almost vertical but grain on the kindling axe is perfectly horizontal.

I'm not sure how long it's going to take me to get out and put them to the test but I'll post a proper review once I have some chopping and splitting time in with them both.