Originally Posted By: sodak
From personal experience, I find that an axe chops the best, followed by the Kukri (or khukuri), followed by the hatchet. In threads like this, people often start interchangeably using hatchet and axe, when those 2 are worlds apart.

I prefer the khukuri or a large knife over a hatchet. They are quite useful for many tasks, while the hatchet I find to be more limiting. YMMV.

Of course, a nice saw works well too...

You are incorrect.

A hatchet is an axe.

"a small, short-handled ax having the end of the head opposite the blade in the form of a hammer, made to be used with one hand." source

"Hatchet from the French hachette a diminutive form of the word hache, French for axe." source

Furthermore, I know many men who split rounds using a short handle, err a "hatchet". It affords them the ability to sit and split.

A short handled axe requires more input force from the user to have the same mechanical advantage that a long handle provides using a lot less force, but the axe head always retains its efficiency. In other words... a long handled axe chops just as well as a small handled axe, The only difference is the amount of energy needed.

So when I see your statements I know without a doubt ....

Anyways, from my personal experience, I find that an axe chops better than a kuhkri regardless of the handle length.

-JRJ