Quote:
for my needs I wont be splitting wood unless I have to. I wont even be making a fire unless I have to. I wont need an axe to fell a jack pine unless I need a shelter and somehow lost my bivi tent. so my needs are all about flexibility and the ability to perform a different variety of tasks I may face. the unknown factor if you will. In my post, I dont think I stated anywhere that I think the kukri will chop better than an axe, but rather almost as good given all the other things a kukri machete can do that an axe cant.

If I go into the woods to actually chop wood as a goal then of course I will take an axe.

If backpacking I wanted a tool that I COULD chop a bit of wood for a fire or shelter if necessary but would otherwise be able to be used for other things like digging, slicing etc. some of the people agree, some did not, and some started talking about felling trees and chopping wood or tryed to tell me that I dont need either but instead could do it with a smaller knife.

I considered all thee points and came to the conclusion that I can achieve my goal by doing either. As the more experienced guys here have concluded. It comes down to personal choice.

I guess I all boils down to this.

if you like an axe carry an axe

if you dont like an axe carry something else.

if you dont like either then carry wine, bread and cheese instead.

for me at least. I have found what I was looking for in the cold steel kurki machete due to some good debating here. Agree or disagree I have found what suits my needs best.

Thanks for the info