I can well understand your convictions on the matter. I too feel that such treatment from LE is unfair and in violation of my rights to peacably enjoy my life while securing my own welfare without encroaching on others.

I long ago gave up demanding anything from a cop. I've come to understand that taking such a confrontational tone with them doesn't have the effect I want, nor does it do anything to resolve my issue. If he has a badge and a name, I will make a quiet note of both and should I really feel the need to pursue any issue after the fact, I will use that information to assert my claim to the proper channels at the right time. If it is something I really feel I can not afford to do without, such as an heirloom (in which case I am already likely mad at myself for taking such a risk with something of such value) then I will try to reconcile with the department and the officer under more hospitable conditions where discussion is more germaine. Most likely, I will simply drop the issue and not repeat the mistake again.

You can, if you so desire, fight the good fight, just for the principle of the whole thing. I don't have that kind of time or money, so if it's something I can readily replace for a whole lot less time and effort, I will choose discretion and leave the other part of valour for another more worthy fight.

Should you pursue a more confrontational position, even at a later time and under more diplomatic conditions, be advised that cops can have a long memory about things that make them unhappy. They also like to point out to other cops those who seem to make trouble for them. At some point, you may end up asking yourself if upsetting this guy was really worth the trouble you now find yourself in, however unwarranted such trouble may be. I personally don't like to be such a mark for those whom my welfare may depend on. Sicking the dogs on his department isn't going to win him or his buddies over as friends either. When the advocacy groups leave after the court case is resolved and you are left with your pocketknife and a sense of vindication, what do you suppose the cop's going to think the next time he sees you?

I'm not saying you should just roll over and take it. I merely suggest you think about how these sort of things can go in the long term. If you feel it is imperative to do the right thing, then go with your convictions, just be prepared for an outcome you may not have previously anticipated. Learn from my experiences if you can; they came at a high enough price.

Chances are, unless the cop really is crooked, following up later in a respectable manner may get you your knife back and preserve or promote a better relationship with a guy we are paying to get in harm's way anyways.

Just a thought. There is always another time when "after prying it from my cold dead fingers" will be the correct response.