for my needs I wont be splitting wood unless I have to. I wont even be making a fire unless I have to. I wont need an axe to fell a jack pine unless I need a shelter and somehow lost my bivi tent. so my needs are all about flexibility and the ability to perform a different variety of tasks I may face. the unknown factor if you will. In my post, I dont think I stated anywhere that I think the kukri will chop better than an axe, but rather almost as good given all the other things a kukri machete can do that an axe cant.

If I go into the woods to actually chop wood as a goal then of course I will take an axe.

The reason I started the thread is that I plan on doing a little geocacheing this weekend or next. the point I want to attempt is 27 km on foot. I dont want to carry unnecessary weight if I dont need it but I like having the ability to fell a tree or split some wood if I have to. A large cutting tool is one of those things like a survival fishing kit that will be in my kit no matter what. It just dont feel right without one.

BTW. for those of you that would rather carry wine and other crap than a good piece of metal into the woods. when I do make the 27 km mark I really hope people like you are not with me if something goes wrong. I will get a shelter and a fire going. and you will get drunk and look like an idiot trying to cut wood with a broken wine bottle.

good luck with that one.

Edited by bigmothertrucker (02/29/08 12:26 AM)