Here's how I arrived at the figures in question:

Maintenance & Such
Routine Fluids Etc. $525/$525.00
That's oil changes, washer fluids, wiper blades, cabin air filter (I change mine 2x a year), Car washes, lamps, etc. all the small stuff.

Annual Inspection $120/$120.00
That's what it costs here.

Annual Registration $40/$40
Again, that's for a passenger car.

Mechanical Repairs $2,400/$250

The $2,400 is based on the fact that I do a lot of preemptive maintenance, when and where I can. I tend to replace shocks, springs, tires and rubber under the hood long before it's likely to fail. With an older vehicle, you get breakdowns that are more complex as well - things like a starter motor, alternator, and, as has happened to my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Tranny failure, despite proper maintenance (FWIW, my 2000 Ford Windstar al;so suffered a catastrophic tranny failure at 145K miles the day after a full fluid flush and replacement, so trannys go when they go, apparently).

We're close to 200K on the old Jeep. It IS reliable, but just this morning, it would not drop out of 4WD without some encouragement and driving in reverse. The 4WD transfer case also seems to have a cracked mounting bracket, that's a real PITA to fix...

Ah...I guess it's time. Here we go to the Prius. My father-in-law has one, he gets 50MPG. Or I can look at the Subaru. Oy. I hate this.