Weight versus value preparedness spectra ideas.

Physical weight may relate to value differently in different survival situations. The value of ultra-light consumables may match up better in a short-term emergency, for example.

As I think about this, my mind wants to classify things to help plan appropriate preparation. I presume wiser heads have already thought this through and I welcome corrections and comments to help me better wrap my head around these concepts.

Possible gear kit weight spectrum:

1. ultra-light - PSK and PFAK, recreational day pack

2. lightweight – BOB, recreational backpack

3. medium weight – car kit

4. heavy weight – survival cache

Possible gear value spectrum:

1. Ultra-low – single use consumable

2. Low – multiple use consumable, or battery dependent

3. Medium – self-powered or high-quality mechanical

4. High – skill-based and replaceable

Possible survival need spectrum:

1. Short-term emergency – almost instant need to take action to preserve and protect self or others, such as first aid.

2. Limited-term emergency – one-dimensional, limited time, limited area problem with need to preserve and protect self or others, such as power loss from a storm

3. Long-term emergency – multi-dimensional, uncertain duration, either a widespread problem with need to preserve and protect self or others, such as power, water, sewer, etc. out due to a major regional hurricane, or to your group without expectation of short-term assistance, such as plane crash deep in the wilderness

4. Permanent emergency – TEOTW-type scenario