A lot of equipment depends on batteries.

There are lithium cells that store well, are light, have more capacity and perform particularly well in the cold. They are good for critical uses. Down side is they are are expensive. Too expensive for routine use in high demand and non-critical devices.

You can also get into rechargeable batteries but these have serious limitations. NiCd, nickel cadmium, batteries self-discharge rapidly. which means you can't tuck them away and expect to have a charged cell to work with. If you store them you have to store them in a charger or spend time charging them for use. NiNH, nickel metal hydride, cells are better but they still self-discharge and they are more expensive than the NiCds.

Li-ion, lithium ion, batteries are good. They hold a charge, don't appreciably self-discharge, are light, have high capacity for their size and they perform fairly well in the cold. Down side is they are expensive and unavailable in many of the most common sizes. And, possibly worse of all, they essentially self-destruct after about three years. Even if they aren't used.

On the other hand alkaline cells are available just about anywhere for cheap in most common sizes. In terms of power output for money spent, ability to hold power when stored, dependability, graceful acceptance of wear, and generally acceptable performance they are the go-to batteries of choice.

But not all alkaline batteries are equal.

I have had no-name, off-brand alkaline cells that were essentially discharged when brand new. After a few minutes use they were completely gone. Even though they were years before their use-by date. The lesson I learned was to avoid off-brand cells.

The other brand of alkaline cells I am leery of is Rayovac. They last and store well enough. But of all major brands they are, by far, the most likely to leak. I sometimes still buy them but I have to take care to check them twice as often as any other major brand. I try to take extra care to replace them as soon as they get weak and making doubly sure that at the first sign of bulging, discoloration or other sign of impending leakage they get replaced.

Energizer alkaline are pretty much mid-grade. Good but nothing special.

Duracells are my preferred major brand. They seem to last a little longer in storage and in use. I can't remember them ever leaking even when foolishly kept in a device completely discharged.

The surprise bargain is Sears Die-Hard brand alkaline cells. I have been told they were made by Duracell but that was years ago so that may have changed. The bottom line on these is that I have always gotten average or better performance at a good 40% discount when I buy them in bulk packs.

What brands of alkaline cells have you had good or bad experiences with? Which brands do you trust? which ones have let your down? Have you noticed any brands that destroy your equipment?

Maybe you don't agree with my estimation of the available rechargeable batteries or lithiums and use them all the time. How is that working out for you?