Originally Posted By: Paul810
The one thing I don't like about those break barrel rifles/shotguns with switch-able barrels, is they're usually only one shot. Most of the time that's fine, but having a quick follow-up shot at the ready can mean the difference between putting food on the table or just wasting a day.

The same idea follows if you are planning on using it for defense from animals (or people). On a break action, you might only get one or two shots out if you're lucky, and it's easy to fumble reloading. Even on an internal magazine bolt-action rifle, it's fast and easy to get four or five shots out. On a pump shotgun, you can get even more with an extended tube. It might give you more of a chance.

A single shot break action rifle/shotgun may be plenty most of the time, but then again, it might not be. Your level of comfort determines what you're willing to carry. I, personally, just wouldn't be comfortable with a single shot break action gun as my only firearm. I want at least two shots before taking the time to reload.

Again, that's just my opinion.

I understand what you are saying, the Savage 24 is a single shot, but it’s got 2-barrels. You can get off another shot by just pulling the hammer back & flipping the lever to the other barrel. I can do this in under one second with one hand. Once the 2-shots are fired you have to open it and reload.

The Savage 24 is a great survival gun, doing a search on line will probably confirm that many people love it for this purpose. It gives you the 22-LR for small game hunting, plinking and even defense. And the shotgun barrel for large and small game hunting, lots of power for home defense and it will shoot a deer slug. A deer slug is very powerful.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.