Thanks for the suggestions guys. Definately keep them coming!

I've always planned on getting a .22LR...but there are so many options and I'm more picky because for that one I want a take down gun that can be packed in a backpack so I can hike in to take small game.

The more I read about it the more I like interchangable or multiple barrels. With interchangables I could have a rifle and a shotgun and cover just about everything under the sun. Plus it would be possible to take some versatility on a hunting trip without having to pack an arsenal.

Unfortunately hand guns are out. Illegal to hunt with them in Canada and just owning them is a nightmare I'm intentionally avoiding by not getting my restricted firearms license.

To answer the question a couple of you asked (and a couple more are wondering I'm sure) Any big game hunting I do will likely be deer. But I'd also like to have a shotgun with slugs as I'd like to do some fly in fishing up north where you can't go in without at least a high powered rifle in case of a polar bear attack. And I'm seriously considering trying skeet for the practice and for a place to use a shotgun that doesn't require killing something (I don't have a deep freeze smile )

Oh one more thing. I'm left handed. I know there are lots of good left handed options on the market but when it comes to less expensive and used, the options die down. A pump (or even break) action can be used left handed...not so with a bolt action.