I layer my handwear similar to what Hacksaw does.

First layer is wool, Polypro or Thermax glove liners, this allows the sensitivity to do fine motor skill tasks (write, shoot, land a fish), while still having something on to protect my hands.

When hunting in the fall I then put on a pair of wool/thinsulate "flip" mitts so I can still function with my rifle when the mitt portion is flipped back. This set-up is silent and I buy the mitts in a dark colour so they are not as obvious to in-close wildlife when I am lifting the rifle.

When snowmobile, ice fishing or working outside in the winter I wear the glove liners inside a pair of Rabar Hy-Artic Extreme 2- layer gauntlet mitts. These are the same mitts issued to the Canadian Military, with tough horsehide leather palms and a removable wool/thinsulate liner. They are made in both white and black and other than used at military surplus stores I have only seen them available at SIR in Winnipeg seen here http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php...1e9ad6da6a8e5fb
I buy these mitts extra large (and sometimes hang them on a string) so I can flick them off in a hurry when I need to.

I also keep insulated leather work gloves in my pack and in the door pocket of the truck so they are handy for rough work.

Everyday winter wear is medium-weight, thinsulate lined leather gloves, not as thin as a dress glove but not as heavy as a work glove.

Mike