Originally Posted By: Schwert
Brunton has been good about replacing all the defective compasses I bought from them, so check out their warranty before you buy.

Hope it works, but I would carry a reliable backup.

Replacement warrantees are ok when something doesn’t work, but it would be better to not have it break in the first place.

This sounds too far fetched to believe, No one can have this much bad luck. But it did happen to me just like this.

Back in about 1990-91 I bought a Simmons Rifle scope, it was their 6 to 18 power Presidential Ranger scope, it was the best most expensive scope they made. I put it on my 22-250 Mauser rifle and was a happy camper, till I tried to sight it in. it would every once in a while be off 8-inches in 100-yards. I took a Redfield scope on the rifle (taken off my 3006) and it worked perfect. This told me the scope was the problem. It had a great warrantee, send it back and we will send you a new one, sounds great. But the second scope would not go through all the power range when zooming in. I sent it back. The next one was blurry around the edges. I told them I wanted my money back as all these scopes are junk, they refused and said they would replace it. I had them send me a few sets of binoculars to equal what the scope cost. One set of binoculars was back ordered (3-months) the other one came right away, it would point each eye piece different directions when shaken. I threw them away. The second set I gave to my son (5-years old) to play with. My friend that sold Simmons scopes in his gun shop stopped carrying them.

Needless to say, a good warrantee does not impress me after this 9-month fiasco.

Good quality does.

PS I buy Redfield, Burris or Leopold scopes only. All others don’t get a look.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.