Hi,

I use an Estwing 26" axe quite a bit but for an odd job, I keep one on my snowmobile for checking ice thickness. It is very easy to break a wooden handled axe while chopping ice and the Estwing is near indestructable, because of this feature they are often found in small airplane survival kits. I also use it to clear deadfall on the trails and cut firewood when needed. The blade is quite thin so it is a poor splitter and often sticks in tough blocks of wood. It also glances badly and I am not crazy about how the heel of the blade sweeps in deeply toward the back of the head.

So it is not my favourite axe to use but it is the toughest one I own, therefore it sees a lot of field time. The axe will rust and it is a prime target for thieves because it looks expensive. I spray painted all but the cutting face of the axe with black rustproof paint and therefore it blends in, drawing less attention when mounted on my snowmobile or ATV carrier. In less demanding situations I usually camp with a 28" wooden handled axe with a 2 1/2lb head (called a Pulpwood, Boys or 3/4 axe); the extra mass, wider head and longer handle cut/split better and are safer.

Hacksaw - Knowing that you live in Canada, this Estwing axe goes on sale at Canadian Tire a couple of times a year (30 - 50 % off) this is where I bought mine. Canadian Tire also markets a heavier version (CT brand I think) that splits better but is not as handy.

(I have no affiliation with Canadian Tire Corp. other than I am addicted to their weekly sale flyer).

At present I am thinking of a Wetterling's Long Hunting axe for times when I am away from the vehicle. A good comparison of this axe with a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe can be found here http://outdoors-magazine.com/spip.php?article147

I googled Wetterling's in Canada and found a few hits including this one in Saskatoon http://www.sworddepot.com/S_A_Wetterling_Axes_cid649.html they may also be marketed under the Husqvarna name so chainsaw shops may also stock them.

Good Luck buying an axe, like shopping for any outdoor gear, it can be really fun.

Mike