Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe
An attack on an armed individual carries a considerable element of risk. Therefore it follows that he was attacked for a reason. Most likely something he was carrying. I seriously doubt that he was travelling alone. One, possibly more companion is more likely. Wife, Brother, close relative, member of his tribe.

Its unusual for lone travelers to be attacked. Unless your a member of a tribe at feud/war with another tribe. You are more likely to be welcomed. If only for the news and infomation you have. They might want to trade with your people later. And showing hospitality is a good way to open the door.

I’m not an archeologist but, from stories my grand parent, great grand parents told a person who found his way into the village/camp was not usually harmed there, but that protection did not extend to after he left. Though it may be unusual to attack a lone stranger in our minds in the not to distant past a stranger was an enemy. Lone travelers would have been more likely to be attacked because of a decided advantage in numbers, or weapons. We can't place our values and morals on a past culture their lives were so different, and in a lot of cases morals and values would have been dictated by those differences.