Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
My solution is to get any of the many reliable two-cell AA or AA flashlights and a Nite-Ize, or its generic equivalent, headband ... Functionally I see little difference between a side mounted light and a center mounted one.
I have one of those Nite-Ize headbands and never use it. The biggest problem with those (for me) is aiming. For one, it's just generally not very easy to accomplish. Second, when you use a Mini-Mag or similar light those don't have anywhere near as wide a dispersal pattern as a well designed headlamp. So that makes aiming even more critical, and it's already difficult to do in the first place. If you wear it on the right side of your head, your left vision is not so well illuminated because the flashlight does not always protrude quite far enough forward to clear the front of your head (depends on the size of flashlight you are using).

The Zipka+ I use is far smaller than any flashlight/headband combo. I find it much more comfortable too due to it's very light weight and no wide elastic headband giving you that constricted feeling. I was initially worried about the durability of the Zipkas retractable string, but mine has lasted me at least three years with zero problems. I am careful and deliberate in putting it on and taking it off however. You quickly learn that pulling it off one-handed from the front will get your fingers whacked by the retractor. But that whack is somewhat padded by the hair wad it yanks out of your head as it retracts in one-hand mode. Note to self: ALWAYS use two hands!