I'm very happy with an older version of the Primus multi-fuel stove, newer version on sale at backcountry.com for $55 now, http://www.backcountry.com/store/SUN0115/Primus-Multifuel-Stove.html. All metal no plastic pumps etc, great steady flame, fast boil, I assert it even simmers reasonably well. Very reliable, easy field maintenance (as in none, if you perform routine cleaning when off the trail). The Primus MF has never failed to catch a light easily and without flooding. One day when I was convinced I had lost the Primus MF I bought the Primus OmniFuel, which has a crazy quirk of flooding out lots of gas (over the stove, cook area, surroundings etc) before catching fire in order to prime the setup. Lots on interest from fellow campers, mostly harmless, but the OmniFuel mostly collects dust while the MF cooks). I've run gas and kerosene through it, but for me its easiest to just keep a bottle of white gas handy and draw from a gallon can.

I have fond memories of a very old Svea 123, including one where the stove blew 20 feet in the air while starting. Can't recall specifically what that was from, but they have to have addressed that by now.