Martin,

I would look for a local RACES group in your area. ARRL may have a list on their site, but I am not certain. The local EOC may have a RACES aspect...most do on paper at least.

My RACES group serves several communities. We have radios and packet stations at each community EOC and contacts with fire and police. The group I volunteer with is then connected to the State EOC, maintains interoperability agreements with the Coast Guard, Ferries, other communities, State Police, Bomb squad, some feds and a host of others.

This network is all tied together with the various 800mHz radios and phones of the agencies and backed up by hams. It is a relatively massive net that actually has worked reasonably well in drills.

Our CERT teams are connected by ham operators to the various communities EOC's and can be deployed from central RACES command. All the EOC's in the group are connected by hams for backup traffic only, but the CERT and RACES members work directly off the ham frequencies.

So....after all that rambling, I think a local RACES group may get you into the loop. If one does not exist, then you get to form one!