I have a Princeton Tec Apex and a Petzl Tikka +. The Princeton Tech Apex is excellent for many uses with a 3W main beam and personal area task lighting using 4 side LEDs but is slightly heavy (uses 4 AAs) and expensive for everyday use. It has an impressive light output which can also mean a short battery life using the main 3W beam even with 4 AA cells (less than 2hrs use on the main high beam). The Petzl Tikka + is much more convenient to carry but is limited in many ways because of a lack of a main beam light. The Petzl Tikka XP, I think is a much better compromise along with the Princeton Tec EOS. The Zebralight H50 looks good also being very lightweight and with a very efficient Cree Q5 emiiter, excellent for close personal tasking but again lacks a viable beam for navigational work.

But I've just ordered a cheap and cheerful Alpkit Gamma - It has lots of features - Main beam with a 1W luxeon and 3 individual red, green and white LEDs, all being individually selectable. It also has a nice touch providing red LED capability on the battery compartment so that folks can see you from behind. Best of all it only costs around $20. If only it used AAs rather than AAAs. It also looks like the battery compartment can be removed and placed in an internal pocket to keep the batteries warm also (when Alkalines cells or NiMh cells are used in cold weather).

http://www.alpkit.com/gamma/