Originally Posted By: Bob
snip...
Does anyone have a recommendation for a light with the following requirements: Head mounted (to keep my hands free), LED Light (so it doesn't burn out ... also something bright), AA batteries (so I can interchange them w/ the rest of my kit).

Thanks!

bob

An often overlooked light in this (crowded) field...

The (IIRC discontinued) Black Diamond Zenix IQ. It takes 2 AA batteries (lithium are OK), uses 2 standard 5mm LEDs and 1 one watt LED, is IPX4 rated and weighs 112 grams w/o batteries.

According to FlashlightReviews battery life is similar (3xAAA EOS 2h 15m vs 2xAA Zenix 1h 55m) but overall output is much higher for the Zenix.

Something that is almost never mentioned but I find important is the lowest setting offered on a given light. The Zenix has a very low - low setting that is great for up close work when it's actually dark. This lets me only use the light I need and really stretch a set of batteries out. During our recent ice storms/power outages my Zenix IQ and CMG Infinity (both w/lithium AAs) were the heroes of the day... and not because they were the brightest lights I own.

With any luck they'll go on clearance soon.

$.02 smile