Originally Posted By: xbanker
Which knife — or knives — carried in the field has as much to do with individual skills as it does the likely tasks. Someone who really knows what they’re doing with a knife is a wonder to behold. Me? I’m somewhere in the middle, so I compensate by carrying a multi-tool and a smallish (4-inch or less blade) full-tang fixed-blade — and sometimes a folder (SAK OHT).

It’s worth noting that folks who live and survive in pretty extreme conditions rely on fixed-blade knives that aren’t terribly “sexy” by most standards (straightforward edge geometry; thin-ish, short blade; hidden tang; easy to field sharpen) — the Scandinavian knife. The venerable (and inexpensive) Mora is all some folks require — though not necessarily recommended for the Amazon region smile . Environment has some bearing.

That's an extremely valid point. I've seen 'bushcraft' experts whittle amazing things down from just about any sort of wood using an $8 Mora.

There's a vid on the net of Mors Kochanski making a bow out of Saskatoon. I did a double take when he started taking material off while it was strung tight to even the top and bottom halves. If that were me there's no way I'd be able to cut wood under tension like that without cutting through it...or myself!

Skills accounts for a lot...more than any knife can compensate for.