My experience in the woods has been that a knife has been useful, but not critical. For years, a SAK was quite adequate; now I carry a Wave. It is just as useful in the office as it is in the field.

In my tight outdoor experiences, I have needed water, shelter, and fire. Water and shelter rarely involved knife use, and when gathering fuel, I pick up or break dead wood from standing vegetation, or bust up logs by whacking them with a rock. I either carry shelter makings or find something suitable. Rock shelters are better than any tent I have used.

If water is critical, nothing beats a good map, and/or the ability to "read" vegetation and topography.

I routinely have a sharp blade on me, either in town or in the outdoors, but modest has worked fine for me for many years.

Most of the obsessing about brand A vs brand B, the type of steel, shape, etc. is unnecessary. There are all kinds of good serviceable blades available for $50 or under. More than that, and you are typically buying hype, rather than steel.

Most of my experience has been in the western portion of the US. Other environments might have different requirements.