MTNLVR68, I was trying to recall which KaBar the 5058 was and became inspired. I actually used the search engine of my computer. This knife has some features generally considered less than desirable in a dedicated 'survival knife.' The american version of the tanto point is for penetration.Certainly other designs can also penetrate as well if not better, but the samurai mystique has popularised the style. The drawback is you lose the gentle sweep of curve. This section on most knives is the thinnest part in cross section and produces the shaved sticks used in the staged building of a fire. A serrated section is another popular feature. At least this one is to the back and leaves a goodly breath of simple cutting surface. Using the lower guard probably also helps controlling a cut into cordage. Upper guards are for fighting and hinder choking up for finer control. The positive points are KABARS superb finish and quality for cost. The sheath is very good . A tanto point is actually pretty good at hand drilling holes and the grip style facilitates this possible duty.For splitting wood you should use Doug's method of taking slices of the edge and not trying to crack a billet in half. The final thought belongs to you. Do you like it? Is it comfortable in hand and have you mastered the eventual resharpening duties? You could do better. You could do a great deal worse.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (02/09/08 03:05 AM)