Chris Kavanaugh, I agree with what I think your saying.

I'm a member of the 'smaller knife' school of survival. I figure that our distant ancestors were skinning and butchering fairly large game with stone flakes less than two inches long. Often about an inch.

An observation from a man who went big game hunting in Africa was that the guides, the people who did all dressing of the game, were using knives that were much smaller than he had expected. Often the blade was only two to three inches long. You don't need a big blade to do a big job.

A smaller folding blade knife is usually lighter and more compact. Which translated into a lighter and more compact kit and an increased chance you will have your knife with you when you really need it.

Many years ago, before it dawned on me that 95% of the work was getting done with a SAK, I carried a fixed-blade knife. Out of insecurity and tradition mostly. Young bucks are always worried about the size of their blade measuring up.

Both the full-sized and then the short version of the KaBar were my favorites. I also have one that looks a lot like the Becker BK10. Might be one. I still have them around here somewhere.

If I felt the need to buy another fixed blade knife now I would go for a Field Pup:
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61527

Good but nothing earth shattering AUS 8 steel and SOG usually does a good job on the heat treatment that makes or breaks a knife. Nice grip on a solid design without frills, big enough to satisfy the desire for a slightly larger blade (4") but small enough so I wouldn't be a burden. MSRP is $60 but prices are less than $35 so I could afford to buy two or three and scatter them around.