Originally Posted By: benjammin
Hmm, that sounds reasonable. With wind moving that fast, there's bound to be a significant amount of static precipitation build up. Even with a heavy rain, I doubt it would dissipate the static fast enough to counteract the propagation.

I know there's some static precip during a sandstorm, enough to detect by similar means, so it makes sense, although I would think that it would be physically obvious the tornado is approaching your pos before you could discern the threat on the radio.

I wonder about how much visual warning people are getting. People reporting that they became aware of it with just enough time to scoop up the kids and hide in the bathtub seems to be a pretty common theme.

A lot of houses don't have clear sight lines to the horizon. There is always the chance of a tornado at night. Or it might form right on top of you. Would wind shear produce RF noise as it forms a tornado a couple of miles up?

If a simple AM radio could give them a little more warning and some clue as to presence and range, even just for the comfort of an earlier, but not premature, 'all-clear' it sounds like something to look into.

Still wouldn't replace a good weather radio but something to consider. I will have to ask around and see if I can't get more details from the experts.