A suitable spear might get you a fish. A gig might get you a frog or crayfish. A walking stick is always a good idea. Three legs are better than two. And if threatened by a large animal I might lash a knife onto m walking stick.

A recommendation from the Air Force survival school was to carry a long aluminum gutter nail. These were usually about 8" long and tough but light and they have lots of uses. Most seem to have short barbs or protrusions that might help keep a fish on.

All that said I keep thinking that everyone has to keep in mind the difference between homesteading and survival. Living off the land indefinitely enjoying the Grizzly Adams experience is homesteading. Survival is usually more about walking out or getting found and rescued.

Time taken to gather food or prepare more than minimal shelter is time taken away from getting found or walking out. That isn't to say you might not snatch up a fish or rabbit or plant foods that present themselves but I wouldn't count on living on what I could gather and I wouldn't be spending a whole lot of time foraging.