I when I'm out I actually carry two matchcases:

One is the K&M extended length case with REI matches and their strike pad. This is my emergency one. I haven't lit one of these matches in about a year, so I'd better use them up and rotate in some fresh ones soon. This case is so well made that I'm betting my life on it. BTW, I put some silicon grease on the o-rings to make them easier to use - really helps. The grease is made for o-rings and purchased from a pool store.

The other is the standard cheap orange plastic one found on many outdoor websites - this contains strike-anywhere matches and a small piece of emery board (my wife uses to work on her nails. I use this one for for day-to-day uses - mostly lighting my Coleman lantern. That lantern can't be lit with a lighter, so the matches are a requirement there. I haven't a clue whether the cheap matchcase is actually waterproof. I've been meaning to dunk it to find out, but haven't yet.

My fire-making kit also includes a MagFire fire steel, a Storm refillable lighter, and a ziplok bag of Vaseline-covered cotton balls. I've been meaning to put a few uncoated cotton balls in there just to make sure I can catch a spark.

Ken K.