Well, this topic did get me to thinking about carrying at least a harpoon head in my psk and this thread confirmed it. But its more of a regional thing, for instance I probably wouldn't have one when I go backpacking in the east coast of Canada... but around the carib, it could be an effective way of catching food.

Thank you to all for your comments and idea.

I did pull an old ti dive knife that i had in my dive kit, and noticed that I can take the handle off quite easily. This could be a dual purpose item for around here. It would never be my primary knife by no means, but it would most definitly be a multi purpose tool, and acting as a harpoon/spear head could be one of those purposes.

I do like the idea of the hoffman, but its a bit of cash for what you get (IMHO). I will play around with the idea of using nails, and maybe filing them to some degree to get more of a barbed head. That would most definitly be a better idea as nails (or some form of it) could be used for more things then just a harpoon head.

Thanks all,
Kris