Originally Posted By: teacher
Hmmm. I'm thinking what does a person new to biking need to do 50 miles in one day, carrying some gear. Figure mostly paved roads/ trails and some dirt.

50 miles in a day,,,,,As a training & conditioning run...

A bicycle in good condition/good repair, you pick the gear capabilities based on the terrain that you'll be covering and according to your personal tastes.

A small backpack with:
a lunch type of meal, PSK, a bicycle repair kit including a tire repair kit (& a spare inner tube), a 1 or 2 qt canteen. All of the aforementioned list can be stowed on a pannier if you equip your bike with one.

On the bicycle frame:
a water bottle (1 liter), an air pump.

On your person:
EDC, hat, sunglasses/glasses, driving gloves (a personal preference), a map of the area that you plan to cover and one that has sufficient coverage of areas adjacent to your route.

On level terrain and no headwinds, you will/should be able to make 6 - 10 mph without stressing or straining. Count on a trip of 5-7 hours depending on what your average speed works out to be. I prefer back country roads that although they may be narrow, they have very little traffic that generally moves slow. Any bicycle paths near your home are perfect (I am planning a trip over some of the Natchez Trace). I am not a fan of carrying an iPod or similar noise creating device since I prefer to hear AND enjoy the noises of an open road and the surrounding countryside (a personal preference).