Originally Posted By: Susan
Skunks - There are a couple of products made just for skunk encounters, Skunk-Off or Skunk Kleen, but you can make your own (but you can't mix it ahead of time, only for immediate use):
Mix 1 quart 3% hydrogen peroxide (not previously opened) + 1/4 cup baking soda + 1 tsp liquid soap. Wet the dog down with the mixture and work it through the hair in the affected areas. Leave it on a few minutes, then rinse. You will probably have to repeat it several times. Don't get it in the dog's eyes (or yours). Don't try to save the excess, it's only good fresh. If you have to use it around the face, try to put something in the eyes first, even cooking oil.

Sue's baking soda mixture sounds worth a try. It's been years since I had a dog encounter a skunk. But, the thing that worked best when he did was a feminine hygiene product, masengill douche, YMMV. The smell is probably not soming out with one washing of the dog, so trying both would probably be what I did.

I remember the last time well, the dog standing so proud over the skunk he literally had just shaken to death. He did not get sprayed, but he still stunk. Washing helped, but for a few months later, his face smelled when it got wet.