Hello to all,

After some searching in the previous forum posts I found very little in the way of the information I was seeking.
At present I have a dog and tend to take her hikihg with the wife when we can get out of the house.
Questions:

1) What are good pet first-aid supplies?
I carry a Sawyer extractor thinking if it works on people it works on the dog. Hypothetical senario in my head is snake bites after the dog spooks one. I don't carry one of the dog head cones to keep her from geting to open wounds and personlly do not think any bandages/topical ointements are any better than the natural antibiotic in a dogs saliva, at least for minor wounds.

2) I have heard various older gentelmen suggest cayying pedialite for desert travel as spart of a pet safety kit, but have no firsthand experience with this. Obviously this is to help prevent/correct dehydration.

3) Another kit item is benadrill pills, for those painfuly amusing times the dog decides to snap a bee out of the air. The sugessted dose is for childrens pills, but as of yet I have not had to deal with a bee sting sice I was given the suggestion. Any recomendations on adminestering, as I don't usually have bread or penutbutter to hide the drug in so she (Dogs name is SKY) will swallow it.

4) Tweezers are one other item I carry to remove thorns form the pads of Sky's feet. The one time I needed them the thorns all started breaking off at skin level and I could not have removed them without this item.

5) My other concern is a puncture or gunshot wound. I have been thinking about this alot and although she is always on a leash the possibility of her falling and getting a puncture wound from a branch or, shot by a hunter with poor game identification skills are, at least in my mind, realistic concerns. So, I am debating weather or not to carry something like quick-clot.

NOTE: #1 & #5 would befollowed by an imediate trip to an animal hospital.

As for me I have taken a few first-aid classes for humans and realize how little I know about it in reguards to humans, let alone dogs. Anyone know of a course for wilderness animal first-aid?

I am looking forward to any comments so please don't hold back on any supplies, suggestions or first hand experience.

-Joe-