Hi Taurus,

I have been enjoying your posts and the replies, Thanks.

Hacksaw, concerning lightweight, takedown .22 cal rimfire rifles I was in the mood to buy a new toy last spring and went through the same comparison shopping of models you are. I think the Ruger 10/22 is the best rifle of the bunch, but I wanted a take-down version from the factory without having to buy aftermarket parts (I still may buy a 10/22 just because I want one). I then looked at all the other take-downs and settled on the Marlin Papoose which I used quite a bit last fall and was happy with it. The post about this purchase can be found here http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=113157&fpart=1 Taurus is right, your from Alberta, you need a rifle!

Taurus, I am also a very active hunter/handloader/shooter but I have never got into handguns because of them not being legal to hunt with/carry in Canada. Is the S&W .500 for bear protection, what are the legal requirements like to get a wildlife protection carry permit in Alberta?

Any chance of fitting a compressed sleeping bag in you winter kit? I bought one years ago called "The Kilo" that weighs just that and compresses small. It is not rated very low but with a layered approach like Hacksaw discribed earlier it would proably take the edge off the cold. A Heatsheet Bivy Bag would also be a good addition in your pack if you had to spend a night out, and a Heetsheet blanket in your on-body pocket would be handy if you had to ditch your pack. AMK Heetsheet stuff is available at MEC or LeBarons in Canada, I have bought from both (LeBarons is often slightly cheaper but MEC has far better customer service). When I got turned around last fall with just my on-body kit it was the shelter aspect I was lacking/wishing for most.

I understand your rational for not wanting the bulk/weight of an ice auger but what I often do is replace the machete with a mid-side axe. The axe I use the most for chopping ice when I am testing the thickness for safety is the rubber handled-steel shafted Estwing. It is very easy to break the wooden handle on an axe when chopping ice (you need to chop in a long V shape, and clear the centre ice before you punch through or you will get very wet from splash). An axe is heavier and more clumbersome but does chop/split better.

While snowmobiling I have found old ice fishing holes on remote lakes (as Hacksaw mentioned) that I just punched-out with my heel and used with success. The holes freeze over from the outside-in so you may end up swaging your fish through a small 4" hole that was originally a big 10" hole.

Here is a debate; I have eaten a few US MRE's and many Canadian IMP's and call me patriotic but I like the Canadian ones better ... eh? Although the cracker in the MRE is much better than the bread in an IMP.

I agree with you about the Canadian Artic Mitts being great. I needed a new pair in Black to replace my 10 year old ones and the only place I could find them was at SIR here http://www.sirmailorder.ca/show_prod.php...6841217c98fcff8

How do you folks compress a long product reference like above to a small link (sorry I am new to this computer stuff)?

Finally I have to agree with you about the skill of old experienced woodsmen, what they lack in equipment they sure make up for in knowledge and grit.

Good thread Taurus.

Mike