Quote:
. . .Gonzales strayed from the group after failing to pay enough attention to his surroundings while snowboarding, he admitted.

At about 3:30 p.m., he traveled down a heavily wooded area and suddenly hit a rock that catapulted him backward into another rock below a 20- to 30-foot embankment, Gonzales said.

"I tried to yell for help but it knocked the wind out of me. I couldn't yell," he said.

He opted to follow a ravine and ditched his snowboard somewhere along the way. . . .

. . .He wandered, trying to find an escape, only to be met with more towering mountains and endless snow.

"It felt like I was in a maze," he said. "Any way I turned was the wrong way. I felt like I was in a big box going nowhere."

By 2 a.m. the creek he followed finally led him to a flat space in a valley where he found what he thought was an old broken-down plane. There he found a warm enough place to lie low.

Nearly six hours later he waved down a helicopter carrying the crew who rescued him.
Okay, here we go with another survival situation kicked off by getting lost, wandering around and getting lucky. He didn't really do anything right, he just got by until he was found and rescued.

As for breaking a snowboard. . . probably better to leave it intact to use as a snowboard. IMO, it would make a lousy pair of snowshoes.