Originally Posted By: benjammin
Are you kidding? The dufus left the normal path, didn't bring anything to communicate or signal with, got soaked, continued to wander from where he'd originally wrecked, and was snowboarding in the trees??? He was just asking to become a statistic.

He was damned lucky. He is a fool. Hopefully he learned an important lesson this time, but I doubt it.

I re-read the article and still don't see where it says he "left the normal" trail. It says "he traveled down a heavily wooded area and suddenly hit a rock". It didn't say "snowboarding in the trees". I'm not sure where you ski but most of the "normal" trails where I go are in heavily wooded areas.

I'm not trying to defend the guy but I'm getting tired of everyone reading more into these stories than what's actually there and simply calling these people "idiots" with no discussion of what they could have done better. I find a lot of useful, informative posts on this forum and usually enjoy coming here to read what everyone has to say, but lately it seems most of the remarks about these cases are simply to rip on the victims and point out how stupid they are. There's been very little constructive comments about what they should have done or what people here would have done better. Pointing out how dumb they are really doesn't add much.

Again I ask, what would do you carry on you when you go skiing/snowboarding for this type of situation (assuming this was an innocent accident).