I've got several ideas.

You can get the Energizer Hard Case torches, the kind that runs on 2 AA's. I have four of them velcroed to a case on the wall, in an easy to reach spot should there be a blackout. My family members and I can just grab them and be good to go.

If you want something pocket-sized you can get an Inova X1, which runs on only one AA battery. However you need to watch as there are several versions of these, one with a spotlight, and one without, that "floods" the light.

You can also buy a Mini-MagLite with either the LED's already equipped by the company or get a regular one and a Nite Ize LED conversion kit seperately, and DIY. However that's the route that's a little bit more expensive.

One last possibility that I know of is that Target is having, as far as I know, a clearance on some certain Victorinox stuff. I got a Swiss Army Knife/Flashlight kit for only eighteen bucks on sale, and the flashlight, also manufactured by Inova for the Victorinox company, is probably even better than the Mini-MagLite deals.

That's all I can really think of right now. If anyone else has any ideas...